Monday, September 30, 2013

Dress up Doll Show

More dolls!  The body of the dolls is made of acrylic yarn, with 3 ¼ mm needles, based on a Jean Greenhowe pattern. The stuffing is polyester, so the dolls are machine washable and can also be machine dried on gentle. All seams are double stitched so no arms or legs will detach as the dolls are played with. The clothes are also acrylic unless otherwise noted. Depending on what I know of the recipient of the doll, I use Velcro closers, or button and buttonholes, or snaps. Sometimes a tie is used, but generally little ones who play with dolls are not into tying bows yet and  I am sure the care givers would rather the dolls be easy for the playmate to dress by themselves.
I had several orders for the dress up dolls, and here are the results!

Becca, Carla and Daria
Becca and Carla were for the same person, who wanted one for herself and one for her grand-daughter. She wanted them to be just like Amelia, so I did the best I could to recreate her. It is difficult to make them the same, but I think I came close enough. For myself, I like to get creative with the clothes.

Daria is for another lady, for her great grand-daughter, who is only a month old at the moment. She wanted curly golden blonde hair, and a pink dress.
Amelia (my prototype), with her new friends.

Long, dark brown curly pony tails, and short, curly golden blonde hair


It seemed that people are getting caught up in the attributes of the original doll I made ( beige skin, curly pony tail etc), so I made Eva to highlight some different things that can be done to make the dolls unique. Eva has dark skin, and braided hair done in an up-do. Her clothes are cotton, rather than the acrylic that I normally use. I wondered if cotton might be good for some of the clothes as it is a little firmer to handle than acrylic so might be easier for little hands to dress and undress the doll.




Franca was the next doll to appear. She has a long golden blonde pony tail and lilac clothes, as requested.





Georgia has also been completed, with a long pony tail in light brown. She also wanted lilac clothes, and a set of extra clothes in green and pink. I started to play around with crochet for some clothes, just as a break from knitting them, and created a party dress and shrug for her as well, since the green and pink clothes were the sample clothes I made initially.



I am working on a pink skinned doll now, and making some extra clothing sets. I have found some actual crochet patterns that I can adapt to fit the doll I think. Amelia continues to be my model doll for sizing of clothes and garment co-ordination. 

4 comments:

  1. They are all so lovely Donna. You should start a business selling them with different outfits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are fun to make! So far, they have all been spoken for before I even make them!

      Delete
  2. These are exquisite Donna. I am speechless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could become a hoarder and just keep them all :D

      Delete