Monday, January 21, 2013

Seashells Baby Blanket

This is a beautiful pattern and quite easy to memorize. It is from one of the pattern testing groups. I wanted to make something for the soon to be born babies, and this pattern caught my eye. I thought the multi coloured would be good for either a boy or a girl, but once it is knitted it is pretty heavy on the bright pink so perhaps it will be destined for a girl baby.



I used a yarn called Mega Plush by Premier yarns that I found at the Mary Maxim tent sale in the summer. I bought 3 skeins of the bright, and 4 of the white and another 4 in cream. I intended to make it all the multicolour but once I started I found that I was not going to have enough of it to make the entire large blanket (which I thought would be more useful than the small size). Some of the other testers made stripes using 3 colours, which is really nice, but I already had a good chunk made of the multicolour. I could have frogged it and started fresh .... but I improvised and decided to use some white to frame a rectangle of the bright colour. I am happy with the result. :D It is about 32 inches x 32 inches in size. I should have done 2 more repeats of the white pattern before and after the bright centre, and 2 more in the centre. But, I was not unhappy with the way it looked so left it as a square!



Before I added the white I looked for some more of the original colour but found that even the yarn company site does not list it any longer so I can only deduce that it has been discontinued, which is a shame. It is a lovely soft yarn and made a nice thick blanket but it still knit up to the gauge given for the needles size.



I will make a hat and some bootees to go with the blanket but first I need to finish the lowtide cardigan I have been working on. I just have one sleeve to finish on it. So there will be a post about it later this week!

3 comments:

  1. It is beautiful Donna and i think it would also be suitable for a boy. Where can I fins the pattern and what weight and tension is the yarn you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheila! I will link my project on Ravelry to the pattern once it is released. It is a lovely knit. I was thinking it would also be a nice one to make in a more adult colour for Vince for the wheelchair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so versatile. The wheelchair blanket is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete