Busy with many different projects, quite a few test knit and crochet projects. I learn something new from almost every new pattern that I try! I do keep my Ravelry project page quite up to date but I have been lax in posting here of late it seems.
A few weeks ago, one of the nurses asked me to make another of the Jean Greenhowe Dainty Dollies for her for her new niece. I was only too happy to oblige! This is a free pattern from Jean Greenhowe, but I customize the clothing and hair styles according to my whim of the moment. I ended up making 5 of the dolls to give her a choice. When I brought them in to show her, one of the nurses asked if I could make one that had removable clothing for her daughter, who is a little older. This set me off on my current quest.
After scouring the doll patterns I have, I decided the Jean Greenhowe Fashion doll was the most likely to turn out according to the pictures I had in my mind. The initial doll I made in skin tone, rather than the pink that I seem to favour for the babies. I had to redo the face three times to get it just right, but I think it paid off. She has a pony tail hair, with very thick curls coming out of the tie.
Clothes turned out to be a big challenge. The bloomers were not too hard to make, as they were given in the pattern. I just had to add a few rows of ribbing to the top rather than sew them on, and I made the legs shorter than the pattern (although they are perhaps still a tad too long). I initially made the pink skirt using the dimensions on the original pattern, but that ended up to be much too wide for the doll as it was not going to be sewn on and gathered. Rather than waste it, I decided to try my hand at steeking so out came the sewing machine. Not perfect, but a most suitable sundress for a doll resulted from my efforts.
Next came a yellow sweater which was entirely my own pattern. I did keep track of what I did and will work to improve this over the next few dolls. This can be worn with the buttons at the front for a cardigan, or with the buttons at the back for a top, and either over or under the sundress. Next I worked on making some shoes for her. I tried 2 of my own inventions, both of which found their way into the scrap pile to be used for stuffing in another toy. I then found a pattern for some shoes for an American girl doll, which I had to alter to make them large enough for my doll. But the resulting shoes are very cute!
Time to switch colours. Out came 2 shades of violet. First up was a dress that I found a pattern for. The dimensions seemed to be about right so I stayed true to the pattern for this one. It fits the doll but is a little wide at the waist, so I will alter that for the next doll. There are many patterns for cardigans for dolls but none that I found for anything else, and you need clothes to put under the sweater! So I set about designing a tank top. My first attempt is okay but I would not make it again. It is knit sideways so the stitches run horizontal rather than vertically. That is not the problem, but the overall effect is not what I was hoping for. It can be worn with either part on the front. One is a solid colour and the reverse side has the buttons and a collar effect where I sewed the straps on the reverse side. My second tank top, the striped one, turned out much more like my visualization. I will be writing that pattern up here if anyone is interested in making it. Then I needed a skirt or pants to wear with the tops, as the violet dress did not lend itself to layering like the pink sundress does. Rather than go with another gathered skirt, I made more of an A line skirt, with slight gathers at the waist, a decorative crochet tie and a faux bow. Another pair of shoes to co-ordinate with the violet set.
I am working on another small test at the moment, but once it is finished I will be making another of the dolls with another set of clothing. I won't really mind if the nurse is not satisfied with them, as I have become quite attached to the first one I made and I can see keeping her for myself!
Patterns to follow for the striped top and A-line skirt, and many pictures of my little doll (I have named her Amelia, which might be the name of the doll she was based on by Jean Greenhowe) I will also add links for the other patterns I used that are available online for any other doll makers.
No comments:
Post a Comment