Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Ho Ho Ho! Christmas is Coming!



The wonderful season of Christmas is drawing in, and I am ready with some Santas, snowmen and a Christmas Teddy bear!


The Santas are my own invention, after looking at pictures of other crochet Santas and not being particularly drawn to any of them. The beard and hair is what makes mine "POP" I think. I am very happy with them and have recorded the pattern for myself so I can revisit it and polish it. If anyone is eager to try one, I would be glad to share the notes I have at present for them. The smallest Santa was the initial creation, with the larger versions being the "tweaked" Santas.




Likewise the snowmen were made very much off the top of my head. Some are 2 snowballs high and some are 3 snowballs high. I used the idea from the Mr. Melty snowman for the arms though. I like that effect more than snowball arms. And I really like the twisted chain for the nose. I think they look quite carroty!



The teddy bear is for a KAL for one of the groups I joined in Ravelry in the last few weeks. It is toy making group -- no surprise that that one would catch my eye quickly! I don't remember what lead me to the group, but it appears there are many other toy enthusiasts in the knitting and crochet world! This pattern was written by a homeless man, who made the bears to sell and to improve his position in life. It is a most heart warming story, which I believe to be true. His name is Gregory Patrick and this is his blog if you are inclined to read his story further MadMan Knitting Blog  I did not sew the hat and scarf onto the bear, so after the festive season she (or he) can sport other seasonal attire! I foresee a little sweater for the winter and perhaps a bunny hat for the spring! :D





Do have a wonderful Christmas season if I do not post again before then. I think I shall ... I am working on a few more of the 12 inch knitted dolls at the moment and I will be glad to share their pictures once they are completed!

2 comments:

  1. Santa's hair and beard look fantastic! Well done, Donna. These are all terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All wonderful as usual Donna, I too love the Santa hair

    ReplyDelete