Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cowls are really just a scarf without the annoying bulk

I made several cowls as gifts for Christmas this year. Some were from TinCan Knits, the False Creek pattern. The original design called for a 3 button closure, which made it quite versatile in how it could be worn. I also made some as a joined cowl, for those who don't want to fuss with buttons. These were all done in acrylic of various shades, in a bulky yarn weight. (I wish I had taken pictures of them). I made some other cowls in Paton's Classic wool, which will undoubtedly be very warm and toasty to wear! One of these is out of a knitting magazine I bought in the fall. It is from Knit Simple, and is called Merry Mesh. Originally a long scarf but I modified it to be a button-up cowl as I liked that idea so much!

I just completed another of the wool cowls, using a pattern I found on one of the blogs I follow. It is a hand cabled cowl, and it closes with 1 button. This one I did take pictures of! It will be so versatile to wear! I love how the hand cable turned out. I may play around with another like this to keep the cable front and centre.Perhaps fewer stitches on one side of the cable ..... we shall see. Directions for making this are found  here  directions for the collar on Chris Knits in Niagara's blog.





So, now that I have made mittens and cowls, I suppose I will soon turn to hats! LOL No, actually, I am finishing off a stuffed toy for a KAL, then I am making a sweater for myself with the yarn I bought at Romni Wools in December. I can hardly wait to work with those yarns as they are sooooo soft and luxurious!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice and unusual. Can't wait to see the pattern you picked for your own sweater with the wool from Romni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynne. It is being blocked right now so it will drape better once it is dry. I think it will be a versatile accessory!

    ReplyDelete