Saturday, February 8, 2014

Penguins perhaps

Another possibility to be considered for the wedding favours ...... PENGUINS!

I started with a crochet amigurumi pattern for a penguin, which turned out very cute, but also very large. This is a Lion Brand free pattern.  Penguin pattern here I did not make the hat and scarf but may go back and do so at a later date. Back to the pattern searching for me ....


I found a pattern for tiny knit penguins that looked like a good possibility. Except, they really were very small - about the size of an adult finger.  Small very cute knit penguin pattern

The first penguin is in the back but you can barely see him even though he is huge compared to the others! :D

Second Couple I made

First Couple I made

A double wedding I guess! :D


Using this pattern as a base, I cast on 20 stitches and followed the colour sequence given in the pattern to knit a rectangle. ( They actual pattern had no shaping at all but I increased 2 stitches at the side for the body so it is a little chubbier than the pattern gives. The rectangle is sewn together and gathered at the top to make the head and body, and a gathering thread is used to define the neck. Then the back and wings are made by knitting another rectangle. I altered the given pattern once again by decreasing the last few rows that would attach to the back of the neck so I did not have to gather it when sewing it on. I crocheted the eyes, beak, and feet. To make them a bride and groom, the lady got a bouquet to carry and a tulle veil, and the man got a bow tie, boutonniere and top hat. It is hard to dress a penguin, I discovered, so they did not get any clothes!

The weather here continues to be definitely wintery so making penguins was not at all out of line. The wedding is in Sept though so perhaps the penguins would not appreciate the warmth of that season! :D

My goal for the Ravellinic Games is to make 1 of the little creations every day of the Olympics. I am on track so far, but it is only the second day of the Olympics! :D

2 comments:

  1. Cute as usual. I do'nt think I could do things so small and fiddly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'd have the patience for it either. But I love the penguins!

    ReplyDelete