Tah dah! 3 Fairies waiting for a new home!
They are also good at shelf sitting if they don't fit on the Christmas tree.
I have not finalized the wing pattern yet, but I think I favour the smaller wings on the first doll in the picture.
I have written down the general directions for making her, if anyone is interested I would post them for you. The dress and hair I like to personalize, whatever direction the creative muse directs me, but the body and head is the same for all of them. If you follow the picture sequence, and you know some basic crochet, you would be able to produce your very own little fairy creation! The hardest part was finding stars for her wand ... these I eventually found at the dollar store in some packages of beads in the toy section. I cut a sparkly pipe cleaner for the handle of the wand and just put it through the hole in the bead and secured it that way. After all, what is a fairy without a magic wand???
Perhaps this is a clearer picture of the way the arms and dress are attached.
Continue to make the skirt of the dress. I use different innovations to make some kind of ruffled skirt. The shoes are crocheted on the bottom of the legs, sc a row, then on the second row of sc, continue passed the leg for 3 sc for the toes part of the shoe, turn and crochet to the heel then fasten off.
The head is just a sphere which is then sewn onto the shoulders. I used 3 stitches of sc on each side of the head for ears. Some of the ears I made pointy, like elf ears. If you forget to make ears before you attach the hair, it is too late! The hair is another variable for me. Some get curly hair, some get a ponytail, and some get both! Depends on my mood of the moment. The face is usually embroidered after the hair is done, and I make a small bump for a nose, also embroidered. I use a coloured pencil to give the cheeks a blush once the facial features are done. Since these are fairies, they do need wings. This is still a work in progress for me, as all of the wings have also been different. I tried butterfly wings but they were not really what I wanted. Last I secure the wand to one of her "hands" so it does not come off. If you intend to let a little one play with the fairy, it would be better to leave the wand off or find another way to make one without the wire of the pipe cleaner.
If you do make your own, would you let me know how it turns out? I get so much inspiration from seeing what everyone else makes!
The head is attached through both the dress and the body underneath so it is able to hang from the Christmas tree, or anything else you wish!
Better view of the ears. I like them pointy!
A few of the other Christmas Fairies I made ... They evolve with each fairy, as you can see. Theses are the first fairies!
LOL, they look great Donna but I often think of the tile fairy being more of a masculine type being! ;-)
ReplyDeleteJust a thought, but maybe crochet cotton might make good wings!
ReplyDeleteAh, good idea, like real lace wings. Have to get the small hook out as well. I am sure I have some crochet cotton downstairs. I will need to rethink how to make it as a masculine version without the fancy dress! LOL
ReplyDeleteNow a masculine version will be a challenge lol
ReplyDelete