I have seen a few pictures of finished projects that were created with entrelac, and became intrigued enough with the changes in stitch direction to do a little research into how this is achieved. It did not look nor sound overly complicated, and so I took the plunge. I imagine the normal thing to do would have been to find a simple entrelac pattern and start with that ... but I just made my own pattern up to create (not quite finished yet) a colourful baby blanket, or perhaps a small throw.
I do like the appearance of the right side of the fabric. The little squares are quite three dimensional, and I think this extra puff will make for a thermal effect when it is being used. I have to work on meeting the corners a little more sharply, perhaps, but that will come with more practice. I am not overly awed by the reverse side of this kind of work so far. It is not a neat appearance. I think it will need a lining layer to be made for it. I am considering a flannelette lining as I think it will be warm enough as is.
To make this, I cast on 64 stitches. Each of the squares is 8 stitches long. There are many tutorials that explain how to do entrelac, if you are interested in trying it. I will not attempt to explain it as I am certainly a rookie at this myself. I used 6 mm needles, and Bernat Softee Chunky yarn. Another great use of some of the yarn I got at the Zeller's liquidation sale! The main colour is blue heather, and the other pattern rows alternate with taupe, baby blue and a soft green. I have 3 skeins of the main colour and 1 of each of the contrasting colours. I don't think I will need to use any of the 3rd skein but I imagine that depends on the edging I put on it. I think I will make an attached I cord edge.
Suggestions or comments are most welcome if you are familiar with this style of knitting and can give me some tips. I am eager to learn new knitting techniques!
More pictures once it is finished, washed, and blocked!


It looks like a very interesting technique, but I can well imagine what the wrong side looks like. A liner would solve that for sure. I like your colour choices.
ReplyDelete