Saturday, June 30, 2012
Stripes again and more toys!
One final sweater for a little boy, this time using a pattern! Softee Chunky Bold Stripe Sweater, by Bernat is the pattern.
It is about an 18 month to 24 month size, as I did not use chunky yarn, and I also used smaller needles. That is the size I was aiming for, and it looks to me like it is about the size I wanted. I need some models to try on some things! The sleeves were knit from the top down to make the stripe line up, and they were attached to the body so no sewing needed to insert them at the end. I also learned from my last striped sweater how much I did not enjoy weaving in all the yarn ends from the colour changes, so this time I did each section as I worked. It was still as much work, but it seemed to be better doing it that way. I am sure it took me over 2 hours of weaving in ends on the last sweater! I knit buttonholes and sewed buttons on the shoulder to make it easier to put on and off as well, which the pattern did not call for. For a young child, I think that is much easier than struggling to get it over their head and then get the little arms in the sleeves.
I am taking a break from sweaters for a little while, although I have enrolled in a course for myself on knitting lace into a sweater for myself. That will be next big project. For the moment, I am knitting toys again, or rather, I have gotten out my crochet hooks and have been brushing up my crochet skills by making some little amigurumi animals! The first attempts at the frog and bee turned out to be a little too large, so I adjusted my hook size and also learned a few new crochet techniques along the way. I will make more of these, perhaps as gifts for the dialysis nurses at Christmas. Or perhaps just for fun for myself! Hubby thought the bees were cute and he snagged one to take to one of the nurses already for her baby niece! There are many many free patterns for these available so I may end up making a mini zoo of crochet animals ... I am certain you will see more of these popping up in my finished projects pictures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





well done Donna, the little animals are so cute
ReplyDelete