Friday, July 27, 2012

Yard Sale Tomorrow, Will anyone want to buy my finished projects?

I almost hate to do this, but some of my finished projects are ready to be set out for sale tomorrow at our yard sale. It is not really a good venue for selling crafts, but as my sons and husband have been keen to have the sale, I thought I would take advantage of it and test the waters, so to speak. If any do sell, I will use the proceeds to buy more yarn to make even more things, so it is a never ending circle I think! I have 10 sweaters to sell, and many of the little knitted animals. Either I will be thrilled tomorrow with the results of the sale or I will learn an important marketing lesson in selling handknit items! Wish me luck, I will benefit either way! PS If there was something that you have seen in my blog that you would like for yourself, they are all for sale as long as I still have them!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the sale Donna. Hope you do manage to sell some of your lovely knitted items. Sadly I don't think people appreciate the work that goes into hand knits. Some people bring them into the shop for us and we have difficulty selling them at a price that reflects this. We have to sell them at less than the price of the yarn, not taking into consideration the hours that have gone into making them. Whether this is because people don't like hand knits any more or whether it is that they expect something for next to nothing at a charity shop I don't know. Maybe it will be different for you as you are not a charity shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very busy morning, with a steady stream of people looking for bargains. It was good to get some decluttering done in the house and the things that were left over went to the charity shop. It was not a good place to sell my sweaters, as I suspected. It was the wrong season and there are too many variables in clothing ... you need to know the size and age of the child the sweater is for. So, I did learn that it is not a particularly good use of time or yarn making clothing on speculation. I will just make clothing for a specific reason now. The soft toys were very well received, however. There too, many people were looking for a specific animal, so it would be better to have many different animals rather than many of one kind. Actually, the little dolls rather than the animals proved to be very popular, although I only had a few of them ready to go. I will keep making my little toys and I also have enrolled in a class in Craftsy to make myself a lace sweater. That will be a September project I think.

    ReplyDelete