Thursday, August 23, 2012

Da Zebra

When I set out on my monkey business, I found myself with patterns for a zebra, lion, giraffe and puppy as well. Now, of course that meant I would be motivated to create these little guys as well.

My first obstacle was finding eyelash yarn. I know they make this, but after scouring 3 yarn stores I have yet to find any. So, as a problem solver, I decided that any fluffy yarn would do and so purchased a skein of black boucle for the mane and tail of the zebra and some beige tone something for the lion and giraffe. The lion and giraffe are still in the project list so I am not sure what it is exactly that I bought at the moment! :D

I eagerly set out to follow the pattern for the zebra, only to find myself in yarn knot distress as the body took shape. And that, my friends, was using a variegated yarn instead of the black and white stripes called for in the pattern. I found a small skein of black, white and grey variegated sock yarn in the $1.00 bin as I was looking for the eyelash yarn and ever a resourceful shopper, I thought that might just work instead of doing it in the "real" stripes. I digress, back to the yarn mess .... The pattern called for a small ball of the eyelash (boucle for me) on each end of the row, then some of the black or white (variegated for me), then plain white for the tummy, then once you got to the head, some plain black for the face .... and all of these little balls (8 of them) being worked on fewer than 30 stitches. I was forever untangling yarn and twisting yarns together for the colour changes .... AUGGGGHHH. Husband looked at the mess as I was working it and he could not believe how I kept anything straight in it at all. In addition to that, it was not a straight stocking stitch nor a garter stitch. Sometimes the good side was supposed to be stocking stitch for the tummy but purl side showing for the body, and I was totally confused with which stitch I was supposed to be doing for the different parts ....
So, I gave up on following the pattern and finished the first zebra doing my own thing. He turned out okay, you can tell he is a zebra! LOL I set out to make a simpler pattern to follow and have now finished 4 zebras. None are what I would call the final pattern. Each one has been changed a little. I am pretty happy with the last zebra body, head, mane, face, ears and tail, but the legs are not what I want just yet. Eventually I will write the pattern out for anyone who feels the need or desire to make a small zebra! For now, I am going to set the zebra aside for a few weeks before coming back to finalize the pattern. In the meantime, I may come up with a way to do the legs that makes me happier. I am using Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight in Zebra colour (of course) now. The sock yarn was used up in the first 2 trial zebras, so it takes about 25 gm to make a zebra. I am unsure how much of the heavier yarn it takes, but will eventually know how many zebras can be made from a 141 gm skein.

In order of completion, from left to right. The first 2 are in the sock yarn.

In profile. The manes and tails are quite cute!

A view from the back.

Not in order this time, but the zebra at the front is the last and so far the best, I think. I still need to revamp the legs, they are too chunky and too long.

These are the zebras so far, so you can see their evolution! :D I also have in mind to do further tweaking and make a unicorn as I found some white yarn with sequins in it at the Mary Maxim sale, and I think a sparkly unicorn horn would be so sweet! I will keep you posted on my progress! Perhaps someone would like to test the pattern for me once I do get it finalized? Just because I understand it does not mean it is an easy to do pattern afterall! (PS It will be a free pattern when I am done in any case. Just doing it for fun, not profit and there does not seem to be a zebra pattern like the one I am trying to make either free or for sale.)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful. Sounds like you had some fun with this project lol

    ReplyDelete