I started to work on it about a month ago while Vince was in the hospital. That was perhaps a mistake as I just plunged into working on it while I was sitting and waiting or visiting and I did not check the gauge right away. It was a nightmare to tear out, as I discovered when I made a small mistake and went to correct it. I was either committed to finish it or cut the yarn where I was and throw the part I had finished away.I also found the directions for the real mobius to be very confusing and did not have the internet available to look up some kind of tutorial, so I opted for the single row on the circular needle method. I kept at it for a few weeks, and when it was about half done I had to take a break from it as I did not enjoy working with the yarn and the rows were sooooo long. I knew the mobius was longer than it was supposed to be when it was about half finished, but hoped for the best.
It is finished now, and I was right. It is, in truth, about twice as long as it is supposed to be in the pattern. Yet I used the size of needle they called for, and the pattern looks just as it should in the finished picture and pictures of others who have also made it. I am not sure where exactly it went wrong. I considered keeping it to use as a scarf. I have so many scarves already that I really don't need one. I wanted it to be like a shawl. But it is too narrow for a shawl, since I realized I had to stop working the pattern well before the stated 10 inches. The yarn was getting dangerously close to the end. As it turned out, I have just a tiny ball of leftover yarn now so it was good that I stopped without trying to squeeze another pattern set out of it.
Front view 1, with the mobius twist.
Alternate front, or the back, overlapped and sewn together. It was so long I had to do something to control it.
Back view with the mobius fold over on the back.
I digress ..... I played around with different ways of shaping it to be something useful for a few hours after supper. I used some scrap yarn of a different colour to sew it in some new configurations. I came up with a kind of a mobius, I guess. The back is longer than it should be in the original, and it has the same shape as the front, which will make it warm to wear. I am not sure if I am really happy with it, but I am not unhappy with it either. I think it will prove to be useful in the winter when there is a chill in the air. I hope I will find it useful. It has more value in the time invested in making it than the cost of the yarn itself as it was half price at the sale. I think I will try a real shawl next time. I am not sure why I have the urge to make shawls, but I do! I have my eye on a few nice ones ....An extra picture ... Audrey made one of the poncho's with the Bernat Softee Chunky as well, and this is the result! She likes darker colours and I like almost every colour, and I do like this shade and so ..... we switched ponchos! She did a GREAT job as she has just gotten back to knitting! Thank you Audrey! I will wear it with pride!
well it sounds like you had a lot of fun with this project Donna and it does look fine even if it is a bit long. No doubt it will keep you warm in the winter.
ReplyDeleteThe poncho looks great too and the colour suits you