This is my latest project, a sweater for about a 6 month old baby boy. I used size 4 1/2 mm needles, and Bernat Bamboo Natural Blends in water. 5 x 60 g balls made the sweater, hat and a pair of booties.
The pattern is the basic 5 hour sweater pattern, using 39 stitches as the cast on. (there are different variations of this sweater on the internet, but this is the one that I use. Using smaller needles and yarn, you create a newborn size. I have also adapted the pattern to make a bigger sweater using 44 stitches to cast on. If you are interested in this, I will be glad to share my directions with you.) I have made several others using this pattern, and I will track down some pictures of them, but I most likely will not remember the needle size or the yarn I used.
This yarn was very nice to work with as it knits up quickly and makes a lovely soft sweater. As it is viscose, it will be prone to pilling. I don't think that is a major problem for a baby. It will be a warm sweater, so more of a fall or winter sweater than would be needed at this time of year.
I found this yarn by accident at Len's Mill store. I had gone to get some yarn for another project and found it in a discontinued bin for only $1 a ball. I liked the colour and wanted something for a baby boy. I have 5 sweaters for baby girls already made, so I wanted to have some in case I find a baby boy that needs a sweater! They make wonderful gifts, and are great to have on hand should a new baby arrive in my circle of family and friends. I have also sold some to the nurses in dialysis. More about that another time!
Summary .... Sweater pattern, 5 hour baby sweater, Booties, Bev's stay on booties .... easily found on the internet
4 1/2 mm needles
yarn Bernat Bamboo Natural blends, water 300 g made the sweater, booties and hat
hat pattern, 55 stitches, size 5 needles. knit in pattern to match sweater for 9 cm, decrease rows as follows k4 k2 together for row, purl row. k3 k2tog row. purl row. k2 k2tog row. purl row. k1k2tog row. purl row. k2 tog. purl 2 tog. Use tail to thread through stitches and pull tight. Sew seam.
Dimensions ... sweater width at chest 58 cm length of back 24 cm length of arm 16.5 cm
booties 11 cm toe to heel
hat 35 cm circumference

No comments:
Post a Comment