Friday, April 27, 2012

Bunny Ear hats

I happened on a pattern for Bunny Ear hats before Easter, and of course this inspired me to make some of my own. I used a simple roll hat pattern -- 60 stitiches (for a small hat to fit up to about a year old, and 78 stitches for a 1 to 3 year old) knit on size 6mm circular or double pointed needles. I bought the fuzziest pink yarn I could find ... sorry, did not save the label. It was hard to work with, to be honest, and I would not make an entire garment from it, but it was fabulous for the ears. White side of ears .... 10 stitches knit in st st for about 13 rows. Next row, k2 tog at each end. Purl row. Next row k2tog each end. Purl row. Continue to shape point of ear by dec at each end until you have a point. Tie last stitch tight. Make 2 of course ( I make 2 on the same needle at the same time by winding a small ball of yarn to use for the second ear ... saves looking at directions twice). The fuzzy yarn was much thicker, so it needed fewer stitches and rows. It will depend on what you find for it, but it has to match the white ear when you are done. For mine, it took 6 stitches, and 12 rows. For this dec pattern, I knit 2tog in the centre each row. No need to use st st, just knit every row. The fuzz will hide the stitches anyways. Use the fuzzy pink yarn to sew the ears together, with right sides out. No need to try to do an invisible seam here. I put the hat on a large roll of toilet paper or empty coffee can to place and sew the ears. It makes it much easier to place them this way. I put the slightly forward of centre, and close to the centre of the top. Use white to sew the ears in place. They will stand up when the hat is on a baby! ( or you could make the hat a little larger with bigger ears and wear it yourself!)

1 comment: