Friday, April 13, 2012

Sparkling White Set for a New Baby Girl

This is another of the same basic pattern, but in newborn size. It was made in white with pink buttons by request for a soon to be born baby girl who has 2 big brothers! White is not my choice with so many really really nice colours available now. I think babies want to be surrounded in colour! But, I suppose 32 years ago I was a pretty strong traditionalist as that is what my babies got ... white, blue or yellow when they were small babies! :D All things change! I do like the fancier colours more now. The yarn I used for this set was Bernat Baby Sport Sparkle, and it is more of a true baby yarn as it is quite fine. After I started working with it, I knew it would be too small as it was, so I actually used the 44 stitch modifications that I had worked out previously. The resulting set was the same size as other newborn sets that I have made using the 39 stitch starting base. I also adjusted the number of rows in the length to make it the proper proportion that way. The ball of yarn that I purchased for this set had many flaws in it, and I do have a letter of complaint in to Bernat about it, but have yet to hear back from them. After I had about 5 cm knit, the yarn diminished to only a thread in width for about 30 cm. I had to tear out some to cut the yarn, tie a knot and then start up again. The same thing happened again after I had gone another 5 cm or so. I was disappointed to have so many knots in something that I was making for someone else. I ended up winding up the entire ball myself so I could find any other flawed lengths and cut them out before I hit them as I was working. There were at least 4 other chunks that I had to cut out. Very disappointing, and also disappointing that I have not had a reply to my email after an entire week either. Big company, I guess, and one bad ball of yarn does not seem to matter to them. Anyways .... the finished set was quite cute. I used 3 3/4 mm needles, sweater measured 21 cm across chest, 19 cm in length, arms cuff to underarm 12 cm. Booties 9 cm long, and the hat is 17 cm across (laid flat for all items, not the measure going all the way around) and 12 cm bottom to top. I am not sure how much yarn it took as I had that rewinding issue and had to cut some out. I have enough left for another garment, but it was a large ball to start with, 300 g. I did finally receive a reply from Bernat, after a follow up email due to the lack of response from the first. Apparently, they did not receive my first email, so it is a good thing I kept a copy of it for myself. Normally, they want you to return defective products to the store from which you purchased them, and they will replace it for you. As it had taken them so long to respond to my 2 emails, they graciously sent me 2 new balls of yarn of the same type. That was greatly appreciated by me. All I really expected was an apology and thank you for letting them know, to be honest, and some direction as to how to get the faulty yarn replaced. Now I know!

1 comment: